Building image

Introduced from 1st January 2017, the Building Act 2016 and Building Regulations 2017 outline the different categories of approval that building works in Tasmania can be divided into, depending on the level of risk associated with that work. These risk categories determine what form and level of building approval are required.

There are now 4 categories of building work;

  • Category 1 – Low-risk work by an owner, or competent person, or licensed builder    
  • Category 2 – Low-risk work performed by a licensed builder 
  • Category 3 – Notifiable building work or notifiable demolition work (by a Building Surveyor) 
  • Category 4 – Building and demolition work that requires a building or demolition permit 

To find out more about categories of building work, consult your Building Surveyor and/or visit Consumer, Building & Occupational Services (CBOS).


Table: Examples of Risk Categories (Source: CBOS)

Please note that State Government fees are payable on all work valued at $20,000 or more regardless of building work category. These fees are collected by the Permit Authority at Council office.

We have put together a Planning, Building and Plumbing Information Pack for those wishing to plan or build within the Flinders Municipality. This information pack contains all relevant application forms, frequently asked questions and process flowcharts.




When would I require a Building Permit?

For the purposes of the Building Act 2016, all building work is permit building work unless the work is:

a)     Low-risk building work or low-risk demolition work; or

b)     Notifiable work or notifiable demolition work; or

c)     Emergency work

 Permit work must be –

a)     Designed by an accredited designer, and

b)     Performed by a licensed builder who is licensed to perform the permit building work; and

c)     Inspected by a building surveyor as required under the Building Act 2016

Extra Resources - 


I want to build a shed, do I need a permit?

Read the Fact Sheet - Sheds and similar structures - Building Act 2016 (PDF, 182.9 KB) for an overview of what an owner can do, when you need to use a licensed builder and whether or not you need a permit.


I want to install solar panels, do I need a permit?

New requirements to allow for a greater size of an array of panels to be exempted from the requirement for a building permit and to provide for the creation of a scheme for the accreditation of solar installers.

Photo-voltaic solar panels installed on a building roof are classified Low Risk if –

(i) the solar panels are installed by a person who holds a valid accreditation, to install solar panels, that is approved by the Director for the purposes of this regulation; and

(ii) the solar panels are parallel with the surface of the roof and there is not more than 100 millimetres between the top of the roof and the underside of the solar panel; and (iii) the solar panels, or any part of the solar panels, do not overhang the roof surface at any point; and

(iv) the solar panels are not within 200 millimetres of the edge of the plane of the roof; and

(v) the solar panel array does not result in more than 100 kilograms of dead load being placed on any single point where the solar panel array is attached to the roof; and

(vi) the solar panel array does not cover more than 38 square metres of –

(vii) a single roof plane; or

(viii) multiple roof planes that are supported by a single structure

See section 1.1.14 Photo-voltaic solar panels in the Director's Determination - Categories of Building and Plumbing Work


How do I apply for a Building Permit?

To apply for a permit, a Building Surveyor must be engaged to issue a Certificate of Likely Compliance. When the Certificate of Likely Compliance is lodged as part of a valid Building Permit application with Council, and the relevant fees paid, a Building Permit will then be issued.

Please note that Tasmania-accredited persons must be engaged to provide structural and technical advice to an independent building surveyor.

To find a Building Surveyor, visit the Consumer, Building & Occupational Services (CBOS) website.

Please consider that the Building Surveyor is responsible for carrying out all your building inspections, but not your plumbing inspections – Council coordinates plumbing inspections.


What if I want to be an Owner Builder?

Under the Building Act 2016 to be an owner builder, you must satisfy the following criteria:

  • An owner builder needs to reapply for owner builder status for each separate project they do
  • A project may be building a house, or extending an existing dwelling
  • A person who wants to be an owner builder should apply to Licensing (see Occupational Licensing Act 2005)
  • An owner builder must also apply for a building permit for each project they undertake. This is regardless of the risk category which would be applied to the work if it was undertaken by a licensed builder
  • All work undertaken by an owner builder is automatically permit building work

To find out more on how to apply for an Owner/Builder Permit, please visit Consumer, Building and Occupational Services.


0.0331 s - Server Process Time

cache - Request Source

362 - Page ID