Flinders Draft Local Provisions Schedule - Exhibition
The Tasmanian Planning Commission directed Council to commence exhibition of the Flinders Draft Local Provisions Schedule (LPS) under section 35B of the Land Use Planning and Approvals Act 1993 (the Act). The Flinders LPS is on public exhibition and representations are invited on the contents of the LPS to the close of business, 2 August 2021.
Representations must be related to the matters listed under section 35E of the Act and not be to the effect that the content of the State Planning Provisions should be altered.
The LPS must contain the particular purpose zones, specific area plans, site-specific qualifications and code-applying provisions that are included in the draft LPS by the transitional provisions of Schedule 6 of the Act. Any matter contained in a representation that seeks to change or exclude one or more of those provisions cannot be considered as part of a representation.
The exhibition documents for the Draft Flinders LPS and supporting documents can be viewed during normal business hours at the Flinders Council offices, from 9am until 4:30pm, Monday to Friday at 4 Davies St, Whitemark, and the Tasmanian Planning Commission’s offices from 9am until 5pm, Monday to Friday at Level 3, 144 Macquarie Street, Hobart.
Representations can be made in writing to the General Manager, Flinders Council marked 'CONFIDENTIAL - PLANNING EXHIBITION REPRESENTATION' until close of business Wednesday, 2 August 2021 and submitted:
- in person 4 Davies St, Whitemark TAS 7255; or
- posted to PO Box 40, Whitemark TAS 7255; or
- emailed to email@example.com
*Representations must include your name and contact details and clearly identify your concerns with the Draft LPS. Representations will be loaded onto the Commission website and are public documents.
Tasmanian Planning Scheme
The Tasmanian Government has legislated to replace all planning schemes in Tasmania with a single, Tasmania wide, planning scheme to manage use and development of land.
The Tasmanian Planning Scheme (TPS) was made by the Minister in February 2017 with minor amendments in April 2018. The TPS sets out how the planning scheme operates, the zones that can be applied to land and the planning rules for use and development that occurs within those zones. The State Planning Provisions also include planning rules in codes, relating to matters that occur across various zones. The TPS will provide as much consistency as possible in the planning rules that apply across the State.
The Tasmanian Planning Scheme is made of up two parts that apply to each local government area:
- the State Planning Provisions; and
- the Local Provisions Schedule.
The Draft LPS must be read in conjunction with the TPS to ascertain the use and development requirements in the relevant zones and codes. The TPS also includes planning rules in codes, relating to matters that occur across various zones. The TPS can be accessed here.
*The TPS does not operate on Flinders until the Draft LPS is approved.
*Representations cannot be made on the State Planning Provisions, as these are state mandated provisions developed by the Tasmanian Government.
Draft Flinders Local Provisions Schedule
The Draft LPS will be the new planning scheme that applies to the Flinders Municipality, once it is formally approved. The Draft LPS will control how land in our Municipality can be used and developed. It contains;
- Particular Purpose Zones;
- Specific Area Plans – maps and associated local provisions;
- Site Specific Qualifications;
- Code overlay maps and the associated State Planning Provisions for each overlay;
- Code lists.
The Draft Local Provisions Schedule and supporting documents can be downloaded here.
Zone and Overlay Maps
Mapping for the zones and overlays can be accessed from the online mapping tool here or the A3 PDF m ap books from the following links:
- Flinders Draft LPS - Exhibited Zone Maps
- Flinders Draft LPS - Exhibited Code C2 Parking & Sustainable Transport Overlay
- Flinders Draft LPS - Exhibited Code C6 Heritage Overlay
- Flinders Draft LPS - Exhibited Code C7 Natural Assets
- Flinders Draft LPS - Exhibited Code C8 Scenic Protection
- Flinders Draft LPS - Exhibited Code C10 Coastal Erosion Hazard Overlay
- Flinders Draft LPS - Exhibited Code C11 Coastal Inundation Hazard Overlay
- Flinders Draft LPS - Exhibited Code C13 Bushfire-Prone Area Overlay
- Flinders Draft LPS - Exhibited Code C15 Landslip Hazard Overlay
- Flinders Draft LPS - Exhibited Code C16 Safeguarding of Airports
- Flinders Draft LPS - Exhibited Site-Specific Qualifications Overlay
- Flinders Draft LPS - Exhibited Local Area Objectives Overlay
- Flinders Draft LPS - Exhibited Specific Area Plans Overlay
For guidelines on the Draft LPS Zone and Code applications click here.
The Draft LPS is based on extensive strategic research and reports. The contents of the Draft LPS and associated requirements under The Act are discussed in the following supporting reports:
- Flinders Draft LPS – Supporting Report
- Flinders Draft LPS – LPS and Zoning Strategy
- Flinders Draft LPS – Discussion Paper – Identifying Dwelling Demand
- Flinders Draft LPS – Discussion Paper – Identifying Potential Lot and Dwelling Yields
- Flinders Draft LPS – Discussion Paper – truwana and Outer Islands
- Flinders Draft LPS – AK Consultants – Agricultural Profile, December 2010
- Flinders Draft LPS – AK Consultants – Agricultural Profile, January 2019
- Flinders Draft LPS – RMCG Flinders Rezoning Report
- Flinders Draft LPS – Discussion Paper – Outcomes of RMCG zoning review
- Flinders Draft LPS – Flinders Island Airport Masterplan 2012
- Flinders Draft LPS – SFM Environmental Solutions – Furneaux Natural Resource Management Strategy
- Flinders Draft LPS – Flinders Council Strategic Plan
- Flinders Draft LPS – draft Flinders Structure Plan
- Flinders Draft LPS – Whitemark Parking Precinct Plan
- Flinders Draft LPS –Natural Resource Planning Summary of the Regional Ecosystem Model of Tasmanian Biodiversity
- Flinders Draft LPS –Nature Based Tourism Market Feasibility Study
- Flinders Draft LPS – TFS Bushfire Prone Areas Planning Report
The Draft LPS includes some specific area plans, site specific qualifications and code applying provisions that are currently operating in the Flinders Planning Scheme 2000.
These provisions were approved by the Minister for Planning to transition into the Flinders Draft LPS under Schedule 6 of the Land Use Planning and Approvals Act 1993.
The approved Transitional Provisions are attached here:
- Flinders Draft LPS – Flinders Planning Scheme 2000 - Declaration - Clause 8(4) 13 June 2019
- Flinders Draft LPS – Flinders Planning Scheme 2000 - Declaration - Clause 8A(1) 13 June 2019
- Flinders Draft LPS – Flinders Planning Scheme 2000 - Declaration - Clause 8D(3) 13 June 2019
- Flinders Draft LPS – Flinders Planning Scheme 2000 - Declaration - Clause 8D(5) 13 June 2019
*Representations cannot be made on Transitional Provisions.
Council’s Strategic Planning consultant, Mick Purves, will also be running a range of public sessions as follows:
- Tuesday 8th June 2021, 2pm – 4pm, at FAEC Rose Garden Room
- Thursday10th June 2021, 9am – 11am, at Lady Barron Hall
- Friday 11th June 2021, 9am – 11am, at Emita Hall
Anyone is welcome to attend these sessions, on a walk-in basis. No appointments necessary.
Private sessions are available at other times throughout the week. Should you wish to meet privately with Mick, please book via firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling reception on 6359 5001.