Community Grants and Awards
COMMUNITY GRANTS & GUNN BEQUEST
Every year Flinders Council supports a variety of community groups, providing funding for specific projects through Community Grants and Gunn Bequest (Sporting Clubs) endowments.
Applications for funding under the Community Grants and Gunn Bequest program for 2018-2019 are now open.
Applications close C.O.B Friday 20 April 2018.
Recipients of 2017 Community Grants:
- Lions Club of Flinders Island - Assistance with purchasing a heat pump for the Lions Lodge Building, Whitemark.
- Furneaux Group CWA Rest Room Committee - Assistance with purchasing a glass sliding door for Patrick St side of rest rooms, Whitemark.
- Friends of Bass Strait Islands - Assistance with costs associated in bringing volunteers to the Furneaux Islands.
- Furneaux Field and Game Association Inc - Purchasing sashes for the Furneaux Super Shoot and Tasmanian Championships.
- Flinders Island Show Society - Support to cover expenses for the entertainment for the 2017 Show and waiver of food permit fees.
- Furneaux Islands Motocross Association - Machinery hire to maintain the riding track. Financial assistance to cover permits, club affiliation and insurance.
Recipients of 2017 Gunn Bequest:
- Flinders Island Netball Group - Support for airfares for team, coaches and players for clinics and umpires for games in September.
- Flinders Island Pony & Riding Club - Assistance with the costs of two return airfares from Launceston for an instructor.
- Flinders Island Golf Club - Assistance with the costs of purchasing a Husqvarana mower.
- Flinders Island Netball Association - Purchase of netball bibs and balls.
- Flinders Island Harriers Inc - Part financial assistance in using race time contractors from Oztiming for FI Running Festival.
- Furneaux Field and Game Association Inc - Purchasing 2nd and 3rd place medallions for the Furneaux Super Shoot and Tasmanian Championships
Furneaux Islands Motocross Association – 2017 Community Grant
In 2017 the Furneaux Islands Motocross Association received a Community Grant to assist in covering various insurance costs as well as machinery hire to help with the improvement of the riding track at the Lady Barron Motocross Track.
Together with this Community Grant, further fundraising by the Association and volunteer contributions, the club has been able to maintain a safe and managed riding environment for members. The Association look forward to continuing the improvement of the facility to allow for more fantastic riding days at the track. They aim to further develop the track to ensure a safe environment for both new and experienced riders.
Furneaux Field and Game Association – 2017 Community Grant
The 2017 Super Shoot was held on the weekend of 9th and 10th September with 16 shooters travelling intrastate and interstate to complete.
The overall High Gun for the Tasmanian Championships was local shooter Lyndon Nicholls and Handicap High Gun was visitng shooter Katrina Clancy. The overall High Gun for the Furneaux Super Shoot was visitng shooter Adam Hirchfield and Katrina Clancy again won the Handicap High Gun. Sashes, medallions and trophies were awarded to all winers as well as second and third place getters. Several of our local shooters were champions and placegetters in their respective grades.
We look forward to the 2019 event.
Flinders Island Netball Association - 2017 Gunn Bequest Grant
With the help of community volunteers and mums & dads the Flinders Island Netball Association was able to get up and running again in 2017. This year they concentrated on junior netball, teaching ball skills and drills, followed by game play. The children of all different age groups had an excellent season and the improvement from start to finish was enormous. A big thank you to Flinders Council for their Gunn Bequest Grant with which we were able to purchase new netballs.
CITIZEN OF THE YEAR AWARD
Flinders Council acknowledges the outstanding contribution volunteers make to the community, and annually honours one especially worthy volunteer with the award Citizen of the Year.
Our 2017 deserved winner was Mrs Pat Masters.
Nomination forms for 2018 will be available from the Council Office and here via this link - Citizen Of The Year Award 2018 - Nomination Form - in the new year for people wishing to nominate an individual for the Flinders Council Citizen of the Year Award. The award will be presented at the Flinders Island Show in October 2018.