Community Grants and Awards
COMMUNITY GRANTS & GUNN BEQUEST
Every year Flinders Council supports a variety of community groups, providing funding for specific projects through Community Grants and Gunn Bequest (Sporting Clubs) endowments.
Applications for funding under the 2020 Community Grants and Gunn Bequest program are now open.
Applications the 2020 Community Grants program must be received no later than C.O.B. 25 May 2020.
Applications the 2020 Gunn Bequest must be received no later than C.O.B. 1 May 2020.
- 2020 Community Grant Application Form
- 2020 Community Grant Guidelines
- 2020 Gunn Bequest Application Form and Guidelines
Recipients of 2019 Community Grants:
- Flinders Island Harriers - Co-fund festival promotion.
- Flinders Island Artisans - Promotional banner and photocopy of 1000 brochures.
Recipients of 2019 Gunn Bequest:
- Furneaux Field and Game - 20 Medallions and 14 sashes for Super Shoot and Tasmanian Championships.
- Flinders Island Junior Football - Scoreboard.
Recipients of 2018 Community Grants:
- Flinders Island Sub-Branch of RSL - Return charter flight to Cape Barren Island for 2019 ANZAC Day ceremony and breakfast supplies.
- Friends of Bass Strait Islands - Help with costs of charter flight for participants working on eradicating boxthron from Roydon Island.
- Flinders Island Sports & RSL Club - Expenses incurred to present 2019 Australia Day event.
- Flinders Island Show Society - Entertainment expenses for 2018 Show, insurance cover and waiver of food permits.
Recipients of 2018 Gunn Bequest:
- Flinders Island Womens Golf Club - Return charter flight to Cape Barren Island to attend the Cape Barren (Golf) Classic.
- Flinders Island Bowls Club - Seating for bowling green.
Furneaux Islands Motocross Association – 2017 Community Grant
In 2017 the Furneaux Islands Motocross Association received a Community Grant to assist in covering various insurance costs as well as machinery hire to help with the improvement of the riding track at the Lady Barron Motocross Track.
Together with this Community Grant, further fundraising by the Association and volunteer contributions, the club has been able to maintain a safe and managed riding environment for members. The Association look forward to continuing the improvement of the facility to allow for more fantastic riding days at the track. They aim to further develop the track to ensure a safe environment for both new and experienced riders.
Furneaux Field and Game Association – 2017 Community Grant
The 2017 Super Shoot was held on the weekend of 9th and 10th September with 16 shooters travelling intrastate and interstate to complete.
The overall High Gun for the Tasmanian Championships was local shooter Lyndon Nicholls and Handicap High Gun was visitng shooter Katrina Clancy. The overall High Gun for the Furneaux Super Shoot was visitng shooter Adam Hirchfield and Katrina Clancy again won the Handicap High Gun. Sashes, medallions and trophies were awarded to all winers as well as second and third place getters. Several of our local shooters were champions and placegetters in their respective grades.
We look forward to the 2019 event.
Flinders Island Netball Association - 2017 Gunn Bequest Grant
With the help of community volunteers and mums & dads the Flinders Island Netball Association was able to get up and running again in 2017. This year they concentrated on junior netball, teaching ball skills and drills, followed by game play. The children of all different age groups had an excellent season and the improvement from start to finish was enormous. A big thank you to Flinders Council for their Gunn Bequest Grant with which we were able to purchase new netballs.
VOLUNTEER OF THE YEAR AWARD
Flinders Council acknowledges the outstanding contribution volunteers make to the community, and annually honours one especially worthy Volunteer of the Year.
Our 2019 deserved winner was Mr Gerald Dilger.
For people wishing to nominate an individual for the Flinders Council Volunteer of the Year Award, nomination forms for 2020 are now available from the Council Office and here via this link - Volunteer Of The Year Award 2020 - Nomination Form
The award will be presented at the Flinders Island Show in October 2020. The recipient will be awarded a certificate and $100 (or donated to the organsiation of their choice).