Community Grants and Awards
COMMUNITY GRANTS & GUNN BEQUEST
Every year Flinders Council supports a variety of community groups, providing funding for specific projects through Community Grants and Gunn Bequest (Sporting Clubs) endowments.
Applications for funding under the Community Grants and Gunn Bequest program for 2017-2018 are now closed.
Recipients of 2017 Community Grants:
- Lions Club of Flinders Island - Assistance with purchasing a heat pump for the Lions Lodge Building, Whitemark.
- Furneaux Group CWA Rest Room Committee - Assistance with purchasing a glass sliding door for Patrick St side of rest rooms, Whitemark.
- Friends of Bass Strait Islands - Assistance with costs associated in bringing volunteers to the Furneaux Islands.
- Furneaux Field and Game Association Inc - Purchasing sashes for the Furneaux Super Shoot and Tasmanian Championships.
- Flinders Island Show Society - Support to cover expenses for the entertainment for the 2017 Show and waiver of food permit fees.
- Furneaux Islands Motocross Association - Machinery hire to maintain the riding track. Financial assistance to cover permits, club affiliation and insurance.
Recipients of 2017 Gunn Bequest:
- Flinders Island Netball Group - Support for airfares for team, coaches and players for clinics and umpires for games in September.
- Flinders Island Pony & Riding Club - Assistance with the costs of two return airfares from Launceston for an instructor.
- Flinders Island Golf Club - Assistance with the costs of purchasing a Husqvarana mower.
- Flinders Island Netball Association - Purchase of netball bibs and balls.
- Flinders Island Harriers Inc - Part financial assistance in using race time contractors from Oztiming for FI Running Festival.
- Furneaux Field and Game Association Inc - Purchasing 2nd and 3rd place medallions for the Furneaux Super Shoot and Tasmanian Championships
Furneaux Islands Motocross Association – 2016 Community Grant
In 2016 the Furneaux Islands Motocross Association received a Community Grant to assist in covering various insurance costs as well as the purchase of building materials to erect a small shed to house their safety equipment and the improvement of the riding track at the Lady Barron Motocross Track.
Together with this Community Grant, further fundraising by the Association and volunteer contributions, the club has been able to maintain a safe and managed riding environment for members. The Association look forward to continuing the improvement of the facility to allow for more fantastic riding days at the track. They aim to further develop the track to ensure a safe environment for both new and experienced riders.
CITIZEN OF THE YEAR AWARD
Flinders Council acknowledges the outstanding contribution volunteers make to the community, and annually honours one especially worthy volunteer with the award Citizen of the Year.
Nomination forms are now available from the Council Office and here via this link - Citizen Of The Year Award 2017 - Nomination Form - for people wishing to nominate an individual for the Flinders Council Citizen of the Year Award. The award will be presented at the Flinders Island Show on 20th October 2017.
Please submit your nomination to the Council Office by C.O.B. 23rd August 2017.